I have successfully created a macOS High Sierra bootable USB from macOS. Then I thought I should back up the partition of the macOS installer and share it with everyone who wants to use it from Windows.
I have created two partition image files, the first is Clover Bootloader and the second one is macOS installer. The only thing you need to do is use Partition Image Mapper to use these two files as two real partitions on your USB.
Clover Boot Disk is the name after you have a USB bootable via Clover. I have not tested on the official MAC. It works for Hackintosh machines. Clover Boot Disk supports both Legacy BIOS and UEFI modes, because Clover supports both modes.
This article does not instruct you to use Clover Bootloader, as well as install macOS. You need to study for your own. Or you can install macOS on VMware Workstation to get familiar or experience.
Clover Boot Disk includes 3 files:
This is the partition image of Clover Bootloader. It allows you to boot into Clover in both UEFI and Legacy modes.
This is a partition image of the macOS High Sierra installer.
Partition Image Mapper helps you to use the two partition images above as two real partitions on the USB.
Download all files at:
Please check the file MD5.txt to make sure that the downloaded files are not corrupted.
Once downloaded, we will use the Partition Image Mapper as the steps below. This tool is part of AIO Boot.
For Macintosh, you should not, nor need the MAP file Clover.img. Only use the .HFS file. But for Hackintosh, you need to map both files.
- Format the USB drive to NTFS. Because FAT32 can not contain files larger than 4GB. Skip this step if you are using NTFS.
- Create the folder /AIO/File/PartIMG on the USB drive and copy the Clover.img and OSX_10.13.5_Installer.hfs files to this folder.
- Run PartIMGMapper.exe
- Select Clover.img in row 1.
- Select OSX_10.13.5_Installer.hfs in row 2. You need to select HFS/HFS+ under Type.
- Select the Clover box under Install MBR if you want to boot Clover in Legacy mode.
- Click MAP button.
- The tool will back up the partition table information for later restoration. The file has .MBR extension in the same directory as PartIMGMapper.exe.
- Once used, run PartIMGMapper.exe, click UNMAP and select the previously backed up MBR file. All data and partitions will be restored as before.
Clover Boot Disk Creator
Some users have reported that they experience an error when using Partition Image Mapper. If you also encounter errors, you can Clover Boot Disk Creator tool. However, your USB will lose all data, only use this tool if the Partition Image Mapper does not work.
- Run CloverBootDiskCreator.exe.
- Clover: Select the Clover.img file.
- OSX: Selects the OSX_10.13.5_Installer.hfs file.
- Target Disk: Select your USB.
- Click OK.
If you encounter an error, Access is denied, which means that your USB is used by another program, please close all these programs, or use diskpart to clean the USB first.
For PC (hackintosh), you need to add the appropriate KEXT to the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other directory. I have added FakeSMC.kext and USBInjectAll.kext. You can find KEXT at the repository of RehabMan and tonymacx86. Choose the right KEXT for your hardware to ensure the functionality works.
Personally I have encountered a “kernel panic” error, I have added NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to fix this error. I also added IntelMausiEthernet.kext to support networking for the Intel® 82579 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.
You also need to configure the Clover Bootloader, its configuration file is /EFI/CLOVER/config.splist. You can modify this file to change Clover theme, SMBIOS, Arguments… My computer has a NVIDIA Quadro 1000M, I was unable to boot (hang apple) until it disabled. If you also experience the same issue, you can disable the Nvidia graphics card by editing its configuration file.
Open the config.splist file and look for:
<key>Arguments</key> <string>-v darkwake=0</string>
Add nv_disable=1 to two string tags.
<key>Arguments</key> <string>-v darkwake=0 nv_disable=1</string>
Or enter it directly in the Boot Args section of the Clover Bootloader Options.
If Disk Utility reported error MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation when Erase, I have shown how to fix this in the link. Alternatively, you can use GParted to create Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partitions and convert to APFS using Disk Utility.
If the latest version does not work, try the older versions.
Please check the Changelog.txt file for more details.
- Removed OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi.
- Replace apfs.efi with ApfsDriverLoader.efi in Clover.
- macOS 10.13.5.
- Updated Clover Bootloader to the latest version (v2.4k_r4439).
- Clover v2.4k_r4428.
- 31.03.2018: Update the APFS driver (apfs.efi) of macOS 10.13.4 for Clover Bootloader.
- 30.03.2018: macOS 10.13.4.
- Update Clover to v2.4k_r4411 (2018-02-09).
- Fixed “The path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.“.